The Manager, Payroll, provides support for Payroll Operations staff and field. This position manages, trains, and develops Payroll team members. Additionally, this position is responsible for overseeing the preparation, control and processing of all aspects of multi-state payroll.
Our Values: Every associate must demonstrate our values of:
• Integrity – We never compromise on our word. We act with transparency – we are a trusted partner.
• Pride – We are proud of our people and they are proud to work for MasterCorp.
• Quality – We do things the right way and strive to continuously improve every day.
• Dependability – We keep our promises. We are accountable for our actions. We meet or beat our
deadlines – you can count on us.
• Respect – We value and appreciate every member of our team. We treat each other as we wish to be treated ourselves.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED• Decision Quality – Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
• Directs Work – Provides direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
• Builds Effective Teams – Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
• Being Resilient – Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
• Instills Trust – Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
• Customer Focus – Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
• Drives Results – Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Two years of progressive management responsibility directly related to payroll.
• Minimum of 5 years of payroll experience in processing payroll, data entry, taxes (multi-state), and yearend processing. Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
• Prior experience working with Ultimate Kronos Group software preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of federal & state tax laws and regulations applicable to payroll.
• Demonstrated technical knowledge of payroll tax reporting and W-2 preparation.
• Demonstrated experience processing payroll using Payroll and Time tracking software required.
• Demonstrated ability to keep confidential information secure.
• Flexibility, multi-tasking, creative thinking, strong organization and communication skills are all required to meet strict deadlines and manage other projects.
• Knowledge of 401(k) plan transactions required; 401(k) administration experience highly valuable.
• Knowledge of basic accounting, reconciliations, and journal entries required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of major accounting software for both general ledger and statutory accounting.
• Strong technical skills in the Microsoft suite and other applications as required.
• Ad hoc report writing experience preferred.
• Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills required.
• Attention to detail required and ability to learn quickly a must.
• Strong team player with demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and positive, professional
• Demonstrated leadership skills in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
• Demonstrated excellent verbal, written, and telephone communication skills with the ability to explain
complex payroll/tax information to employees, vendors, and upper management.
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
• Dependable with commitment to meeting payroll deadlines. Willingness to work additional hours as
needed to meet deadlines.
• Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
• Rarely – on average 5% of travel on a quarterly basis
• This job operates in a professional office environment routinely using standard office equipment such as
computers, phones, copiers, faxes, and filing cabinets.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Provide accurate and knowledgeable guidance to team members and all levels of management in the following areas of Payroll; government regulations, processing, corrections, regular rate of pay, piece-rate, taxes (multi-state and reciprocity), employee payroll maintenance, deductions, gross to net calculations, taxable fringe benefits, year-end, and other payroll related tasks.
• Work closely with Senior Management, Payroll Department, and other departments and entities; ensure legal requirements are met each payroll through the function of the payroll system(s), and the
documentation and preparation of the payroll data. This will include hands on participation in general
payroll processing in a multi-state environment. Ensure appropriate accounting policies and procedures are followed.
• Coordinate and manage payroll process ensuring accuracy and timeliness of the payroll. Compliance with labor law and government regulations related to payroll reporting, taxation, and garnishments. Compliant with 401(k) regulations. Ensure accurate and timely review of personnel records, payroll deductions, and payroll processes.
• Supervise and mentor the payroll department staff; schedule and assign work, foster a team approach designed to meet the unyielding payroll deadlines timely, accurately, and efficiently. Responsible for leading, developing, and managing the performance of those reporting to this position; establishes and communicates clear performance expectations. Provide timely annual performance reviews to all direct reports. Actively pursue training and development opportunities to enhance payroll skills and knowledge for self and team.
• Ensure established payroll related workflow, policies, procedures, and regulations are followed and
maintained. Prepare various management and government reports to include tax reconciliations,
balancing and controlling earnings and deduction totals, calculating, preparing, and posting general ledger entries. Inspecting automated system output such as registers and standard reports, determining and correcting out-of-balance conditions.
• Respond to questions and escalated concerns about payroll from employees and management; follow internal workflow and adhere to department and company policies. Must be focused on delivering quality customer outcomes. Participate in periodic audits. Perform other duties or projects as assigned.